Jun 20, 2014

Midsummer's Eve

Goodmorning from Sweden. I'm going to resume from where I left off from my last post and explain to you what Midsummer's is. In the most basic terms, its the period of time that is centered around the summer solstice and is often considered a fertility festival... hence the rituals such as dancing around the maypole. Legend states that Midsummer's Day is a time for love. Girls are often seen with flower crowns because on their way home, women are supposed to pick different species of flowers, lay them under their pillow and have their future husbands appear in their dreams. Pretty cool if you ask me. 

The day started off with a group of us heading to the park to meet up with the summer/fall students who lived in different buildings. It was of course the wrong park we were supposed to meet at, but we didn't mind the view. In fact, the day was beautiful and I loved the architecture of each building we saw. It's basically something you'd see out of a romantic comedy you wanted to live vicariously through. 




Finally we had made it to the right place. Our group was given the chance to dance around the maypole (even though none of us had no clue on what the man was saying or what we were supposed to do). It was the funniest and sweetest thing we got to do. We probably all looked ridiculous to those watching but at least we tried. Luckily, I got a little 10 year old next to me to help guide the way in each dance. 



And of course we have to end with some food. Now look at the size of this calzone.
I kid you not it was bigger than my face and oh so delicious. I mean you can just tell how thick this was with the knife that one my friend Andres so kindly stuck through it. (Side note: Big thanks to Daniel for the recommendation). I wish I could be super cool and tell you I finished it but who are we kidding. This thing was massive.