Aug 6, 2014

Girl Meets Prague

As Naomi and I left Amsterdam and said goodbye to Edyth & Dawkins, it dawned on me that I would be going home soon. Saying goodbye is never easy, especially when you really learned to love those around you. 
Our flight from Amsterdam to Poland went well, but we soon found out that our flight from Poland (which already included a 2 hour layover) was about 2 hours delayed. Not to mention that they boarded us onto the aircraft only to make us sit and wait for an hour because of scheduled landing conflicts. On the bright side, the seat next to me was empty which meant more room for me and time to catch on sleep.
Once we arrived in Prague (finally) our next step was to catch a bus to the train station to meet our friend Dan. And then comes the next struggle...where is Daniel?
Without wifi it is practically impossible to get ahold of another person, but about an hour later, we managed to find Daniel amongst a sea of people. Thank goodness cause this meant dinner and nap time. We had rented an apartment of some sort through Airbnb. Since we had been delayed and were unable to reach the landlord through message, we had missed our slot time. However, with some wifi and a fantastic dinner at a nearby restraunt, we were fed, happy and able to get into the lovely apartment in no time. I highly recommend this service if anyone has trouble finding hostels or hotels for cheap. The three of us had a great experience through this site. 
 It took some begging (although not much) to get my friends to go to Praha Zoo with me. I really love the zoo, with the exception of birds. I really don't like birds. 
I do however, love tigers and elephants. I consider them to be my spirit animals. This zoo had so many animals and in most cases they are barely blocked off and could practically escape. Slightly intimidating but really cool. 
 Named this one Nala. This one was a gem and quite the sassy one. She just kept growling away and was extremely active, which was different from the usual normal sleepy tiger. 
And here is Ellie. I took a ridiculous amount of selfies with her because she's not only photogenic but majestic. I have a thing for elephants because they represent happiness and luck. Plus they are just so stinking cute. 


 Daniel recommended that the three of us go out and try an ice pub. For about 10-15 dollars, you can go in for 30 min and a free drink. The limit is 30 min because it is so cold in there and I'm assuming it's for safety reasons. We got to wear these big fluffy jackets and gloves to hold the drinks. It was such a neat thing to do that I am really happy I had the chance to experience. 

We took a boat ride along the Vltava river and saw a really amazing view of the Charles Bridge. This bridge is the only connection from Pragues Old Town and Prague Castle. We had an adorable tour guide who explained the history of Prague and its monumental constructions. He even recommended a traditional Czechoslovakian dinner for us to try out, which we ended up going to. It was surely a Czech meal let me tell you. 

If you see Prague Castle, see it at night. Take the tram up and enjoy this lit up beauty. It's not only more quiet and less packed but it's so enchanting. Then walk down, because you are able to see spectacular views of the city and all of its glory. 
 During our time studying abroad in Lund, one of our teachers had told us to visit the astronomical clock in Old Town. It was gorgeous. There is no other way to describe how pretty it was in daylight and at night. 

 My final night in Prague we were lucky enough to catch some fireworks on our walk down from Prague Castle. It was so bittersweet and emotional because I'm a sucker for fireworks and Prague never looked so pretty. I also knew I would be leaving early the next day and a part of me was not ready for that. Until next time Prague.